6/10/2008

All Grace Thoughts

A couple weekends ago, I witnessed the Columbus, Ohio premiere of All Grace at Broad Street United Methodist Church. Over six weeks, I rewrote the play, cast the play, and directed the production. I put out notices and calls for actors to several different schools and theatres in the area, and ended up hearing mostly from female actors. I tried to get in touch with the two male actors that contacted me, but never could. So, I ended up with seven women for four female roles and no men for four male roles... What to do? Do an all-female production.

It took me a few days to come to grips with the possibility of Jacques Lipchitz and Father Couturier being played by young women, but the necessity of the production and the fire to see the new revisions onstage made the decision for me. And now that I've seen the play with an all-female cast, it's hard for me to imagine it any other way.

No comments:

Blog Archive