10/21/2008

Methods

Since I'm back, I thought I would title my new blog entries with single words just like my favorite guilty pleasure, Smallville. We'll see just how long that lasts...

Since coming back to The Brothers Caramillo, I feel like I've tried everything to ignite things and get to the heart of the rewrite. As stated in my last post, I found a theme song; I've spent hours drawing diagrams on my dry erase board, using different colors for each of the three brothers; and I've written notes upon notes in my moleskine, trying to understand the characters and the plot and the philosophical and theological implications that come from each decision I make...

I figure there's no one technique, no one method. I'm trying a method casserole. Or a method Jell-O mold with fruit and pecans like my mom used to make... Point is, I'm trying everything.

Recently, I looked to a method that my friend and fellow playwright Anton Jones uses. He creates a separate document for each scene of his play and then combines them when he has a completed "draft." (Note: This was a method he used when we were at the University of Iowa, so I don't know if he still uses it to this day. Anton, do you still use this method?)

While I didn't create complete, separate documents for the play, I used Final Draft to chop up the play into easily digestible scenes. But, Chris, you may ask, how is this different from what Final Draft does anyway? Good question. What I did was combine Anton's scene separation with creating French Scenes from my process as a director. French Scenes are created when different characters enter or exit a scene. So, basically, I chopped up the play further than simply scenes, into entrances and exits. This created a large and very unwieldy document, however, when you're only concerned with rewriting a particular chunk or morsel of dramatic action, it's easy to give yourself a sense of accomplishment. Today, in fact, I collapsed four French Scenes into "Act 1, Scene 2," or as I label it in my scripts now: "1.2".

What other methods do you use to set up structure or make things more manageable? How do you troubleshoot? Am I going overboard here? Let me know!

2 comments:

Toni Wilson said...

Oh, man. Rewriting. I might have mentioned to you before, but I used to HATE rewriting. What changed was playwriting. Now I love it.

I have a really anal retentive way of revising. It seems ridiculous to me, but it works, so I guess I shouldn't down my process.

I write a draft. I print it out. It's now labeled draft 2. I go through the draft, making little changes here and there. Then when I make a major change, I draw a little star and a number next to the star (*1) and in a seperate notebook (I'm favoring legal pads right now), I write the change, and I do this until I've finished the revisions to that draft. I then go to the beginning of the printed out draft, open the draft in final draft, save it as draft 2 and start putting in the edits. I mark through them with a highlighter. when all those edits are in, i spell check the play, format assistant check the play and print it out again and start the process all over again.

wow, i'm a giant dork. but it works.

yours sounds very complicated, but then again, i bet mine does too. it's just interesting to see how other people work with editing.

and i'm looking forward to playwriting month. did you say that you are thinking of doing it again this year?

DL said...

Toni, you really should share these rewriting tips at the end of Naplwrimo !
Remind me !!!

Blog Archive